Monday, June 19, 2006

What a Weekend!!

boker tov everyone!!! I have just had the busiest weekend of my life!! We started out on Friday at 10 am and went to Mini Israel. This place has mini versions of ancient, old and new buildings and the like. I really felt like playing Putt Putt the entire time (that is not allowed by the way). We then moved Cesarea (spelling prob. wrong) Maratima which is a mainly Roman site that the infamous Pilate once lived. Has a great ancient port under the water that I would love to dive on. The aqueduct system is huge and streches across the beach. We then got to Galilee, but it was late so we justate dinner and went to bed. The next morning we went to Hazor, a site that was very impt. during the Middle and Late Bronze Age (Solomon). We also went to Tel Dan, another site similar to Hazor but set in a nature preserve, so it was really pretty. The entrance gate architetchure that is surving is amazing. We then moved on to Cesarea Phillipai (also known as the Caves of Pan and Banias). Here is a sacred pool with healing powers associated with the Greek satyr god Pan. We then got the chance to going swimming in the Sea of Galilee. It is very rocky for a long way out...so you are walking in water that comes only up to your thighs for quite some time. It was refreshing to swim!! I then enjoyed a beer with a few others on the dig (it was about time I could have a beer, but so sorry Coors folks...it was not a Coors product). The next morning we went to see the Galilee boat (or the Jesus boat). I was exicted about this because one of my professors from A&M was in charge of this site. We then set off to see some churches (transfiguation, mount of beattitudes and multipication of the loaves and fishes) then moved on to Caperneum (the home of Peter). We also went to another Bronze Age site of Meggido and a Roman site Biet Shian. I hope this tired you all out reading it!!! Will update soon about the work on my site and what else is going on with the people here, now that I really know them. Amy and Bryanna...it was great to hear from you, keep an eye out for a postcard Bry. Grandma Hazel...I recieved my letter yesterday in the mail. It was great and EVERYONE was jealous (which makes me feel good) Thanks alot!! Keep sending me comments and tell me how all of you are doing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So Melly - I just talked to Noam at your hotel. She says I have a very nice sister! She helped me book my room and get a taxi for the airport. She said she would be talking to you about this as well.
Talk to you tomorrow!