Monday, June 26, 2006

Dead Sea/Masada

I know I have been asked for more pics and they are on the way, just need to borrow someone else's camera. Let me tell you about my weekend. We started off heading towards the Dead Sea, which takes us through Jerusalem. We then start heading down as the Dead Sea is 1300 ft. below Sea Level. The drive takes us through the Negev desert (also known as the Judean Wilderness). Nothing grows here, but there are a lot of bedouin with their flocks, horses and of course CAMELS!!! (was very excited to finally see some camels, kinda want to ride one...and buy a stuffed camel...okay, moving away from the camel...). As we drive down the sea comes into view as well as an oasis called Ein Gedi. There are palm trees and cultivation here, which stands out from the bleakness of the desert. The oasis is fed by a waterfall called David's Stream (connections with 2 samuel). The temp. difference is quite amazing as you hike up the hill. Too bad a fire ravaged part of the site. After the 30 min. climb it would've been nice to jump in, but alas, no swimsuit. We next went to the Dead Sea. Thought it would smell bad (kinda like Salt Lake) but it doesn't. There is an area where you can go in a float as well as cover yourself with that Dead Sea mud. I did not go in because I thought it would be nice to do something with Melissa that I had not already done. Next was Masada. Now this is an amazing wonderful amazing place that cannot be described in words. Hopefully some pics that I post will help, but...it is breathtaking. The site stands above the desert on a plateau and you can see for miles because you are so high up. Of course, there has to be a downfall, and, there was. I now know what hell feels like and let me tell you...it is VERY hot (please bring plenty of sunscreen). The temp. was about 107 F with no breeze. HOT, very very HOT. But, I will take Melissa there (can't be the only Keerins who has been to hell and back). That was the end of our day so we drove to Arad, which is situated in the desert. It consists of 2 areas. One built for the Bedouin and one built for everyone else. ( you can guess which part is nicer). 14 of our group left in the morning (very sad, miss them already) so we are much smaller now. A few more people leave on Tuesday. Well, I have to go wash and read some pottery so will fill you in on Sunday (Tell Arad, Beer Sheva, Asheklon, Swimming in the Med and Lachish) and hopefully put up some pics. Miss you all!!! Please write comments to me!!! I want to know what is going on and what I am missing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Sounds like you're having a fabulous time! Melissa is very exicted about coming to join you. Not much going on here - same ole stuff. Suppose to be in the 80's this week with rain showers so I'm sorry to hear its soooo hot there! Hell sounds like Phoenix!! Be sure to send pics of you and Melissa in the mud!
Deb FK

Anonymous said...

G'day Melanie. Your journey sounds amazing. The food is right up my alley. I could eat fruit and bread all day. Any issues with bugs? John and Lee just returned from their adventures and have a TON of bites.

Missing you at Coors!

Anonymous said...

Your menus sound very nice, certainly something I could live with. Won't be long now before Melissa is there and you are traveling and diving. Sure wish I could have gone with you two again. But maybe next time. Take care and continue to enjoy everything. Your blog site is great and I am sharing it with several people. Love the witch....your grandma hazel

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have been a busy girl!!! Sounds like you get a chance to play too, which is great! I'm lovin' the pictures and can't wait to see more. I've been busy here in the 5 week brewing course. My brain feels like mush and if I had a little light like my CPU it would be blinking non-stop saying "I'm working as hard as I can, and I don't think I can put any more info in!" Just as long as my CPU .. uh... Brain... doesn't lock up and crash. I knew I should have paid closer attention to chemistry and biology in high school and not been so worried about planning my social life. I look forward to more postings and pics from you. Have fun with Melissa in a couple of weeks and have TOO much fun!!!
Carrie