Friday, June 09, 2006

One week down

Well, it has been a week!! Amazing. The site is going along well...going to try my best to post a picture (keep your fingers crossed). In my area we are working on digging around a wall and trying to find the floor. Didn't find much these past few days execpt some fine delicate pottery. Have found way to many scorpions. Killed about 5 today alone!! I am learning how to 'supervise' a square. This is very important because it could mean I could actually get paid to do this next year!! It is hard work, but learning how to work a surveying machine to take levels, draw an accurate 1:50 scale map of my square and other paperwork things that are not as interesting. Washed pottery for the first time after digging today (very sad as it cuts into nap time). Takes about 2 hours to get the pot sherds clean!! We are going into Jerusalem this weekend. On Sat we will go into the "Christian" Quarter which includes walking down the Mount of Olives, walking the Via Dolorosa and visiting several chruches and markets. On Sun we will go into the "Jewish" Quarter of the city. I will update and tell you all how it was. It is great to hear from all of you. To the coors group: I have been asked many times what it is like working at a brewery...I think many here think that all we do is drink beer!!! Lindsey: The backpack is great!!!

Miss you all

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are working hard and doing great - we are very proud of you. I know missing "nap" time is tough - are you able to read (I mean fun books NOT textbooks)? Great picture. Please thank the computer person for letting you use the computer - it has been so good to keep up with you and know what is happening.

Love, mom

Anonymous said...

Mel,
Both Dante & Baylor send their best! and we all miss you around 5207!! (I had to clean this week!)It is rather unreal to read of your adventure, I am hoping you are keeping of journal of this great fun.
wjo

Anonymous said...

Mel, Sunday morning 11th.The opening of the 236 acres connecting to Santa Monica Mts. was a great success. We started @5:30 yesterday. Then went to Greek Festival for dinner. NOW I
GET TO CATCH UP WITH YOU!!!

Your Blog site is awesome!
In one week you have accomplished
a great deal. The pic is super. Glad its mainly veggie food. Actually finding shards and doing
the entire process, start to finish has to be a thrill. Can guess some of your cousins are pretty envious:)
Your sister got the pic I needed for reunion quilt.
Anxious to hear info on Sunday trip.
YaYa